PetfoodIndustry.com reports that there are currently over 140 million cats and dogs in the European Union.
This figure comes from the latest Facts and Figures report from the European Pet Food Federation. The report, based on 2017 data, offers several other indicators of the pet industry’s growth throughout Europe:
- Approximately 80 million European households own a pet
- At least 21% own one dog and at least 24% own one cat
- Roughly 1 million jobs are created as a result of pet industry activities in Europe
- Pet-related product sales are estimated to be €7 billion
- Pet-related service sales are estimated to be €9 billion
- The European pet food industry is growing at an annual rate of roughly 2%