Pets are great; we know that. They also provide a dazzling assortment of physical and mental health benefits to their human counterparts; we know that too. In fact, there are so many perks to pet ownership that it can be hard to keep track of them all. If you happen to fall into that camp, don’t worry, Mother Nature Network has you — and your pet — covered.
In a recent article, MNN took a tour of eleven studies that indicate that pets are good for us and how. So, what can a pet do for you? SPOILER ALERT: a lot.
- Pets alleviate allergies and boost immune function
- Pets up your fitness quotient
- Pets dial down stress
- Pets boost heart health
- Make you a social — and date — magnet
- Provides a social salve for Alzheimer’s patients
- Enhances social skills in kids with autism
- Dampens depression and boosts mood
- Defeats PTSD
- Fights cancer
- Puts the kibosh on pain
Check out the full article on MNN to learn more about the studies behind each of the benefits pets have to offer.